Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday Roast

I made my family a Sunday roast for lunch today. It's been a long time since we've had one and in the UK it's kind of a tradition. The whole house smelled yummy, but I couldn't help but feel that my family members weren't here to enjoy it with us. I forgot the gravy and I miss bread pudding terribly.

But I think over the Fall and the Winter it's going to be a weekly occurrence - we all sit down on a Sunday and eat a roast. I love family traditions. Now that I have my own children I want them to have their own traditions and memories that make them feel warm and happy. It's been a long time since my family back home and I have practiced out traditions, like leaving milk and mince pies for Santa (we also used to leave a bowl of water out for him to wash his hands with after coming down the chimney, and a bowl of dog food outside for the reindeer!) but I'll remember them always.

I hope in twenty years from now my babies remember our family time around the dinner table and our holiday traditions, and look back on them with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment