Monday, October 5, 2009

The television

I've recently been inspired by a blog called Unplugyourkids.com. It encourages parents to limit the amount of television your children watch on a regular basis. I admit, sometimes it's all too easy to pop the Dude in front of the TV while i get cracking on some housework or my freelance work. But recently I've been feeling that by encouraging this behavior, he's missing out on learning opportunities.

So, this week I am going cold-turkey. Completely unplugged. No cartoons, just Mommy and Dude time. Crafts, baking, playing in the yard, going to the library. Stay tuned as it were, I'm sure this is going to be an interesting experience!

2 comments:

  1. We got rid of our television 10 years ago, when my kids were 4 and 2. We still watch DVDs sometimes on it, and I do have a Wii Fit, but that's all we use our TV for. And the kids are much more imaginative and active! My girls knit, and write stories, and do crafts, and they've learned how to use HTML, and they've taught themselves how to start small businesses. It really is the best thing you can do for your family!

    Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Sheila!

    We're doing well so far. Little Dude is taking more of an interest in crafts and crayons, and we've been spending more time together which has been wonderful.

    Great blog by the way - mind if I add you to my blog list?

    ReplyDelete